Thursday 12 April 2012

Almost 3

Almost 3. By babies are almost 3. How on earth did that happen??

Three years ago, on April 12th we got a phone call from the labour and delivery nurse who asked if 'we were ready to become parents'. My husband, who had answered the phone answered 'I guess so.' With a lot of nervousness, fear and excitement we packed our bags and set off to the hospital to have babies. Three days of induction and labour, finally, at 926pm on April 15th our beautiful Mason John Michael was born, big blue eyes wide open. The nurses took him and cleaned him up and the docs checked him over and gave him to Michael. When I saw Mason for the first time I thought 'who is this baby??' He was long and skinny, with a smushed little nose and big bright blue eyes...he didn't look like me or Michael...or any members of our families, but he was beautiful. When I held him, he looked me right in the eyes and I swear to God it was like he was looking in my soul. He was just so sweet and the look in his eyes said, 'Hi Mom, Nice to finally meet you. Sorry that hurt so much. So how are you?'. He and I had an immediate instant connection.

Mason is such a sweet child. A bit of a old soul, a people pleaser, gentle and sweet, smart but in a very unassuming way. Creative and imaginative. Organized and focused. Funny and goofy. Sensitive and stubborn. I think Mason is and could be as he grows up, underestimated. That might sound bad, but he comes across as though he doesn't hear you or doesn't care, and I think the assumption is because he is so sensitive he isn't going to do certain things, or isn't capable of doing certain things. As he has proven to many, including me, he hears you, he's listening and he does care, but he'll use that knowledge when he's ready, and he will amaze you. I can't wait to watch him amaze us as he grows up!

Almost an hour later on April 15th, at 1009pm our beautiful Alexa Jade Alards was born. She was taken and cleaned up and checked, and then taken to NICU for observation (I don't really remember why, I think it was because they though she might have swallowed some muconium). Anyhow, 2 hours later she was brought in to us in recovery and she was tiny and perfect, and looked EXACTLY like I did in my newborn photos. Dark hair and dark eyes with a perfectly round face and head, you just wanted to kiss her! What an easy going and sweet baby. As long as she was full, she was happy and she would sleep. I think all she did was sleep for the first 6 weeks! Alexa always got passed off a little more since she was more easy going and Mason insisted on being with me. It took her a little longer for her to show us her personality, but once it started to come out, look out!!
What a fire cracker with the gift to gab!!  Observant, inquisitive, intelligent. Stubborn and determined. Loving and sweet, a real ham. Strong but sensitive in a less obvious way. Shy, loyal and protective. Demanding and critical. I told Michael a few weeks ago, if Alexa can learn to use all her qualities to her advantage, good and bad, she will be a force to be reckoned with. I so look forward to what she is going to do and be as she grows.

I love how unique and different Mason and Alexa are, and yet how well they compliment each other. They are truly best friends and I love how they play together. Sure there is fighting, but they look out for one another and really enjoy each others company. I only hope they will always be so close and be each other advocates.

So this week we will be celebrating these little kiddies. Frog and Hello Kitty cupcakes, cars and trains (Mason's requests for his birthday) and Hungry hungry hippos (Alexa's birthday present request) and lots of family. Looking forward to the festivities and the adventures of the next year ahead of us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment