Sunday 26 February 2012

A new challenge

It's been three weeks since my declaration of health and weight loss, and I must say I've done well. I've stuck to my plan and exercised 4-5days a week, using Power 90. I've decided to keep Zumba for when I get bored and need something new. So for now it's Power 90 which I have to say I really enjoy. It's easy to follow, it doesn't take up a ton of time to do, the movements are basic but definitely work, and Tony Horton gives you great tips about how to make things easier or harder and how to keep good form so you don't hurt yourself. I also love that it shows you where you are in the work out to know how much further you have to go. That way I can pace myself and not push too hard too soon. Michael has even started doing it with me this week which I wasn't sure I would like, but I find it really motivating. He's super competitive and usually I'm not, but for once I want to be better at something then him!!

The results of my efforts have really surprised me. I feel really good. My back hasn't bothered me since the end of the first week and my knees are starting to feel better. The scale hasn't moved much, down 3lbs, but I've lost a total of 6.5 inchs overall. I'm really amazed how fast my body is responding.

This week we're getting a little more crazy.  I've done a TON of reading on health and proper nutrition and in my travels stumbled across a site called Beyond Diet. It has really peaked my curiosity since it's not about 'dieting', it's about improving your diet. The focus is on nutrient dense food that work with your body to keep you healthy and help your body burn fat. It had a ton of information on foods that we think are good for us that are really doing more harm then good. For example butter (which we all assume is bad for us). Butter comes from cream. That is it's only ingredient. Yes it is high in fat, but it has good fat that actually helps our bodies burn fat. Eating fat does not make us fat, it's eating processed, over refined, surgary things that are making us fat. There was a ton of facts on butter that I can't remember, but she made some good points. Anyways, it's something I want to learn more about and something I really want to try. So we're going to take the two week challenge the site recommends to get your metabolism going. Michael has agreed to it with me (which I think he's now regretting!!)

We'll be following three rules:
1. Nothing to drink but water. One cup of coffee or tea, black is allowed. Michael doesn't drink just water so he's going to drink crystal light.
2. Nothing white. ie: no white bread, pasta, sugar, white rice and most milk products (eggs and cheese are allowed)
3. No wheat or anything with wheat in the ingredients list. (This one could be hard, but we'll see.)

The information on wheat that I've read is that a lot of people are intolerant to it but most people don't show any symptoms, and if you are intolerant your body converts it directly into fat. Lovely. So for this last rule i've had to do some planning since we are big whole wheat bread eaters. I'm making my own bread with spelt flour, I've bought spelt and brown rice pasta and brown rice instead of white rice.

It's going to be a challenging two weeks, but I'm ready to make some bigger changes, and see some bigger results. Very curious to see how these changes affect my weight, my mental clarity, my energy level, my skin etc etc. I'll keep you posted!! Wish us luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment